Portfolio Day: Entry #1
On December 5th, 2009 I attended a national portfolio day at the Corcoran Gallery of Art in Washington DC. The purpose of this was to go and show my portfolio to art school representatives and talk to them about my work. I talked to the 6 schools I’m interested in and got different feedback from all of them.
- MICA liked most of my work, but wanted me to look into why I was using type. About a month later, I got a letter from that said they accepted my portfolio and wanted me to apply early, which I did.
- RISD also liked most of my work, but wanted to see examples of how it could be used other than in an exhibition (clothing, wallpaper, fabric… etc).
- The Cooper Union only really looked at my color theory work. They liked the fact that I used type in my work and ended up giving me a “faculty referred early decision” packet.
- SVA loved my graphic design work and accepted my portfolio right there on the spot.
- Pratt barely looked at the first 5 pieces and the reviewer wasn’t too impressed with what he saw.
- The Corcoran seemed to like my stuff, but I wasn’t really too sure what was going on, since it was my first review and I had 3 reviewers at once.
I was pretty happy with how it turned out, since I got mostly positive feedback from my top 3 schools (Cooper Union, MICA and RISD). Later that day, I mailed out the Cooper Union early decision packet and began waiting for my home test to arrive.